Lying undisturbed for over 70 years, the German-made MP-40 was discovered in near perfect condition during work on a tenement house in Tarnów alongside its magazine and several dozen rounds of ammunition.
While digging to insulate the building’s foundations in Łódź, the workers stumbled upon a wooden box filled with over 400 antique objects, including candlesticks, cutlery, glasses, and other utensils.
Making a visual impact with its smart wood finishes, restored ceramic agas, and jaunty green-trimmed windows, the station in the village of Zajezierze is being hailed as more than simply an aesthetic triumph.
Lead conservator Dr Eliza Buszko said that although they had been able to identify images of the saints, “inscriptions under the cardinal portraits were damaged, so whilst we have been able to ascribe names to some, others remain unidentified.”
Once a calling card for urban rot, this week’s PLN 52 million deal will see Warsaw’s Skra stadium receive a three-pronged makeover, with stage one seeing the development of a rugby pitch, athletics training facilities and green areas.
Dating from the turn of the 20th century when the school was founded, the city’s coat of arms was in use from 1530 to 1938 when the Nazis ordered that all the old coats of arms be replaced with a new two-field one.
Featuring fountains, greenery, information boards and outbreaks of modern art, the initiative has been hailed by Poznań mayor Jacek Jaśkowiak as a project for the masses, saying: “I am glad that we have managed to revitalize the square while respecting the historic character of this space,”
The Bishops' Palace in Kielce, which was built as a home for wealthy Kraków bishops, was constructed in the early 17th century, a time when Poland had reached its largest geographical size and had recently occupied Moscow.
Dating back to the 17th century, the polychromes were discovered during works at Wieliczka’s Żupny Castle and include a painting of the Vasa coat of arms.
In this episode, John Beauchamp speaks to Dr Łukasz Krzywka, a veteran of forty years at Wrocław University’s Institute of Art History, on the restoration of the Aula Leopoldyńska, known as the Leopoldina, a pearl of 18th century baroque art and architecture.