Contained inside, researchers unearthed 285 objects including 194 coins, 21 crosses and medals, 11 buttons, three rings, two coffin handles, 23 ceramic fragments, eight glass fragments, and a piece of a window.
Historians are wondering how 118 coins minted during the Carolingian Empire, a Frankish dynasty who ruled over what is today much of France, Germany and Italy in the period 750–887 AD, managed to find their way to Poland, as in the 9th century it was an area inhabited by pagan Prussians.
The thousands of 900-year-old riches which include coins and jewellery rumoured to have belonged to a Ruthenian princess and sister-in-law of 12-century Polish king Bolesław the Wrymouth were discovered in the small village of Słuszków, near Kalisz.
The coins date from between 1657 and 1667, pointing to their minting shortly after the Deluge, a series of wars with Sweden throughout the 17th century which wreaked havoc and destruction throughout the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
The skeletons with coins dating back to the reign of kings Sigismund III Vasa and John II Casimir were discovered in an area in southeast Poland known as the Church Mountains (Góry Kościelne) and confirm local legends of a children’s graveyard.
Finds show a past love of oysters, beer and flour from Toruń.
The time capsule discovered by workers carrying out renovation work on a church in the small town of Ziębice, dates back to 1797 making it the oldest in Europe and the second oldest in the world.
One of the largest ever hauls of treasure from the Roman period to be found in Poland and the largest ever in the Lublin region has been uncovered in Hrubieszów near Lublin.
The 1,753 coins spread out over farmer Mariusz Dyl’s field near Lublin and described as ‘the Crown of Polish Archaeology’, are one of the largest ever hauls of treasure to be found in Poland and the largest ever in the Lublin region.
Mushroom picking Bartosz Michałowski found the silver coins in a landslip on the banks of the River Słupia near his village of Strzelinko, not far from the northern town of Słupsk.