The meetings would take place in the drawing rooms of influential people and they were places to see and be seen. Refined taste ruled and men and women of the higher classes would discuss new phenomena and trends in art.
Bristling with security cameras and surrounded by a solid steel and marble fence with barbed wire, Sobieskiego 100 is just one of several buildings that is occupied by Russia following agreements signed between the People's Republic of Poland and the Soviet Union in the 1970s.
Included are extraordinary gifts given to the late Pope such as a metal relief excavated from a mass grave of Polish officers murdered by the NKVD, a crucifix carved by a concentration camp prisoner from a toothbrush, handwritten notes and never-before- seen archival documents from his student life in Rome.
VIDEO: Surfacing courtesy of a mystery benefactor, the pictures first taken in the 19th century by Konrad Brandel, a prolific photographer, camera maker and inventor, have now been made public by the Warsaw Rising Museum.
VIDEO: To mark the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Riga, which sealed Poland’s victory over the Soviet Union in 1920, the Royal Castle in Warsaw is hosting two exhibitions that show the contrasting sides of the bitter-sweet peace deal between the two states.
Described as one of Warsaw’s greatest heroes, Jan Zachwatowicz’s defining project has previously been inducted onto UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
The apartments, furnished with period furniture and the prince’s own possessions, give an insight into the life of one of the greats of Polish history.
Decimated during WWII, with its churches, palaces, and market-place, spanning history from the 13th to the 20th century, Warsaw’s Old Town is a splendid and meticulous restoration - a true phoenix from the flames, says’s TFN’s Joanna Jasińska.
Famed for his urban landscapes, Tytus Brzozowski is now working on a project to paint 13 cities with a Polish connection.
The Royal Castle has one of the best 18th century interiors in Europe. And, located in the old town of Warsaw, it used to be one of the most important buildings in Poland where, among other things, the constitution of 3rd May 1791 was adopted.