The two 15th century pieces, ‘Dolorosa’ (Lady of Sorrows) and ‘Ecce Homo’ (Behold the Man) by the Flemish painter Dieric Bouts, were discovered at the Pontevedra Museum in Spanish Galicia.
The gallery under the hashtag #poznajdziełaodzyskane invites social media users to see and learn about how Poland managed to regain formerly lost works of art.
The ‘Pietas Domini’ gothic altar painting from 1435, known as the Throne of Grace, hung in Gdańsk’s St. Mary's Basilica until May 1942, when German art conservators dismantled it and took it deep into Nazi Germany.
Poland will not give up on retrieving Portrait of a Young Man by Italian painter Raphael Santi, stolen by the Germans during the Second World War, Deputy Culture Minister Magdalena Gawin told Polska The Times newspaper.
The oil on canvas by one of Poland’s most eminent urban landscape painters shows the vast knave and impressive vaulting inside Milan’s cathedral, which is the largest church in Italy, the third largest in Europe and the fourth largest in the world.
Produced by David Preuss in 1599, the triptych was made from lime wood and included figures of Christ, Mary Magdalene, St. John the Evangelist and Saints Peter and Paul.
Stashed away by Germans during WWII, the History of Apollo and Daphne by Abraham Bloemaert disappeared after its hiding place was ransacked by Soviet soldiers. Considered one of the best examples of North European Mannerism, it was returned after a woman who tried selling it to a museum in Wrocław was taken to court in civil case.
As tantalizing new details of buried Nazi treasure are revealed, TFN’s Stuart Dowell reports on the findings and probes the mysterious religious organisation which held the diary for decades and was associated with Nazi cult worship in the 30s and 40s.
An amateur historian says he has found documents pointing to the location of artwork stolen by Nazi Germany, including Raphael’s Portrait of a Young Man estimated to be worth around 100 million USD.
Geldorp’s Portrait of a Lady had been in public collections in Warsaw from 1935 until the outbreak of WWII. It had been purchased by the city together with a collection of 94 other paintings.