Although little-known, the camp in Chełmno nad Nerem stands out in the grim history of the Holocaust for serving as a model for later sites at Treblinka, Sobibór, Bełżec and Auschwitz II Birkenau. TFN’s Stuart Dowell was there.
Launched on August 2, 1943, in about 30 minutes of violence and mayhem around 300 prisoners managed to find their way through the barbwire to freedom. Among the 63 who survived to see the end of the war was Samuel Willenberg, an artist who would later fight with distinction in the Warsaw Uprising.
Rated as one of the city’s most Instragrammable attractions, it has earned a reputation as a favourite shooting spot for Just Married couples and filmmakers – among its numerous media appearances, the cast-ironstairs have played a starring role in the Tarantino-influenced thriller Diversion End and The Man With The Magic Box, a Polish Academy Award winner about a time travelling janitor.
A March of Remembrance commemorating the victims of the liquidation of the Warsaw Ghetto was held in central Warsaw on Monday.
The first movie to feature sound, The Jazz Singer has now been turned into a new musical, directed by Wojciech Kościelniak with original libretto and score by Mariusz Obijalski.
The 16th Jewish Culture Festival - Singer's Warsaw, will feature concerts and events associated with the literature, history and traditions of Jews. It will also present a number of theatrical performances, festival spokesperson Edyta Bach told PAP.
Photographs of pre-war Węgrów show lost world and set the backdrop to a remarkable story of survival.
A March of Remembrance and Prayer, as well as lectures, film screenings, exhibitions and meetings with authors are part of the program that will mark the 73rd anniversary of the Kielce pogrom, which took place on July 4, 1946, in the south-central Polish city.
According to a survivor who during WWII spent time in five concentration camps including Fort III in Pomiechówek just north of Warsaw: “The torture site in Pomiechówek was the worst in every respect.”
During WWII the synagogue was destroyed by Hitler’s marauding troops. The chandelier was discovered during an archaeological dig in 2004 on the former site.