Polish prosecutors launch investigation into Russia's attack on Ukraine
Polish prosecutors will hold an investigation into the possibility Russia has committed "the crime of offensive warfare" against Ukraine, Zbigniew Ziobro, the justice minister, has announced.
Ziobro said at a press conference on Tuesday that he had discussed the issue with Ukraine's prosecutor general, Iryna Venediktova, on Sunday.
"She asked me to get involved... in documenting the criminal activities taking place on Ukrainian territory," Ziobro said.
"Of course, I expressed our full support, solidarity and readiness to offer any help that is possible within the legal framework," Ziobro added.
The discussion prompted Ziobro, who is also Poland's prosecutor general, to ask prosecutors to launch an investigation "into the crime of offensive warfare against Ukraine.
"As part of the proceedings, we'll document all incidents that will later become the basis for bringing the perpetrators to international criminal responsibility," Ziobro said.
The justice minister also said he would lodge a procedural document on Russia's crimes in Ukraine with the International Criminal Court later on Tuesday, following a similar move by Lithuania.
Russia invaded Ukraine from three directions on Thursday but the Kremlin's plans of a rapid conquest and replacement of the Ukrainian government with a puppet regime loyal to Moscow has failed with Russian forces encountering fierce Ukrainian resistance. More than 500 civilians have lost their lives in the hostilities so far, the UN has reported.