Polish PM declares efforts focused on coronavirus countermeasures
Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki declared on Tuesday that the entire state effort, financial means and attention were focused on coronavirus preventive measures. He added that, if it occurred, the aim would be to limit its scope and combat it.
He also appealed for panic and fake news to not be spread regarding the coronavirus, to keep calm and observe the recommendations issued by the chief sanitary inspector and the health minister.
PM Morawiecki, who on Tuesday visited the Sanitary-Epidemiological Centre in Katowice, southern Poland, expressed his gratitude to all physicians, nurses, lab technicians and diagnosticians for their work.
The PM also declared that if the virus was confirmed in Poland, the public would be immediately informed.
According to the prime minister, at the current stage, Poland has been applying best possible practices. He noted that Poland has professional equipment and experts.
The prime minister also said that the Polish government has initiated a number of activities on the EU forum, including a meeting of the EU Council, requested by Polish Health Minister Łukasz Szumowski. He added that he had also discussed the problem with European Council President Charles Michel and the prime ministers of the Czech Republic and Hungary, Andrej Babis and Viktor Orban.
Meanwhile, the head of the PM's Office, Michał Dworczyk, announced that a government crisis management team will hold its first meeting on Wednesday to discuss the current situation and coordinate preparations regarding the coronavirus occurrence. He added the team would be meeting every day as of Wednesday.
The Polish Health Ministry said on Tuesday that 559 samples tested for coronavirus had proved negative in all Poland's laboratories.
The global death toll has exceeded 3,000, with the virus spreading to more than 60 countries. The virus broke out in Wuhan late last year and has since infected more than 89,000 people, mostly in China.