Poland launches construction of Battle of Warsaw Museum
The construction of a museum devoted to the 1920 Battle of Warsaw, in which Polish forces halted a Europe-advancing Red Army, was launched by Defence Minister Mariusz Blaszczak on a historic battlefield in Ossow, near Warsaw, on Monday.
The museum in Ossow, a branch of the Polish Armed Forces Museum in Warsaw, should be completed within two years, according to Blaszczak.
The facility will house documents, exhibits, weapons and memorabilia from the interwar period and conduct educational activities aimed primarily at the young generation.
The entire project is to cover a 12-hectare area, with a four-storey, 4,800 sqm museum building on a hill and two 70-metre high masts with white and red banners towering over the former battlefield, Col. Adam Piatek, the deputy head of the Warsaw Infrastructure Management Board, told a press conference in Ossow.
The hill will also feature stands for 4,000 spectators of historic battle renditions.
This year, Poland marks the centenary of the 1920 Battle of Warsaw, the so-called 'Miracle on the Vistula', which was the turning point of the 1919-1921 Polish-Bolshevik War.
The main celebrations of the 1920 victory over Bolsheviks will be held in Warsaw on August 15, the centrepiece of which will be a military parade.
In August 1920, the Polish side won an unexpected but important victory over the Red Army in the Battle of Warsaw. In the wake of the following Polish advance eastward, the Soviets sued for peace and a ceasefire was sealed in October 1920. The Battle of Warsaw helped defend Poland's newly regained independence. The battle, headed by Marshal Jozef Pilsudski, defended the democratic order of the whole of Europe.