Poland calls on Russia to withdraw from plans to intervene in Belarus

Paweł Supernak/PAP

Russia should not intervene militarily in Belarus under the false pretext of "restoring control" there, Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki said on Thursday.

"The Polish government urges Russia to immediately withdraw from plans of a military intervention in Belarus under false pretext of 'restoring control,' a hostile act, in breach of international law and the human rights of Belarusian people, who should be free to decide their own fate," Morawiecki wrote on Twitter.

Protests in Belarus have been ongoing since the presidential election on August 9. According to official data, Alexander Lukashenko, who was seeking re-election, won 80.1 percent of the votes.

Many Belarusians believe that the result has been falsified. In post-election protests, at least three people were killed and 200 injured. Last week, nearly 7,000 persons were detained, many of whom were brutally beaten. Several dozen people are missing.

In a television interview, Russian President Vladimir Putin has said that the Belarusian president had asked him to "form a reserve of law enforcement officials" and that he had complied with this request. "However, we also agreed that this reserve will not be used unless the unrest there got out of control," said Putin.

The Polish PM had announced the setting up of a special fund aimed at supporting people repressed in Belarus or facilitating their entry to Poland.