Mushroom-poisoned Afghan boy to undergo liver transplant in Warsaw

One of the Afghan boys who ate highly poisonous mushrooms with his family will undergo a liver transplant in a Warsaw children's hospital. The other child is in coma.

The boys, who had been evacuated from Afghanistan together with their family, were placed in a centre in Debak near Warsaw on August 23. They ate poisonous mushrooms a day later.

The six-year-old boy will undergo a liver transplant at Poland's main children's hospital in Warsaw but doctors cannot operate his five-year-old brother due to the brain damage he had suffered. A 17-year-old Afghan girl has been hospitalised in the same hospital but her condition is stable.

The family picked and ate highly poisonous mushrooms in the forest near the centre where they had been accommodated.

A week ago, four Afghan adults staying in another centre were also hospitalised due to mushroom poisoning. According to a PAP source, their condition is stable, and one has already been released.

The information was confirmed by a spokesman for the Office for Foreigners, who told PAP on Tuesday that Afghan refugees staying in both centres had three meals a day, and that all the food offered to them is compatible with their religious and cultural requirements.

There are 1,021 Afghan nationals staying in Poland after they had been evacuated from Afghanistan aboard Polish planes.

Welcome to The First News weekly newsletter

Every Friday catch up on our editor’s top pick of news about Poland, including politics, business, life and culture. To receive your free email subscription, sign up today.