Hidden stash of Nazi guns found in Kalisz woods
A haul of WWII firearms described as being of ‘massive’ historical importance has been discovered in a village forest.
For decades rumours of a stash of weapons being buried by so-called ‘Cursed Soldiers’ at the end of WWII had been circulating around the village of Morawin northeast of Kalisz.
But until now, no one had been able to find them.
The arsenal was finally uncovered 300 metres from a forester’s lodge by a local historical research team filming a documentary about Nazi Germany’s September 1939 campaign.
Included in the haul were Mauser semi-automatic rifles, Sturmgewehr assault rifles as well as a VG-2 rifle meant for use by the Volkssturm people’s militia formed by the Nazi party in the last months of World War II.
Posting on the Denar Association’s social media, Przemysław Kurowiak wrote: Sensation!!! “The rumours of a buried gun deposit in the forest behind the forester’s hut turned out to be true.”
He added: “We found seven rifles including four Mausers – which were fairly popular – but we also came across two Sturmgewehr rifles which are fairly rare, especially in this area [near Kalisz].
“The [weapons] could have been seized by certain [Polish] groups, and it looks likely that they would have been stashed here by ‘cursed soldiers’.”
Cursed soldiers were members of the Polish resistance who towards the end of WWII began fighting against the Soviets.
They continued well into the 50s before being hunted down and either executed or imprisoned by the communist authorities.
Of particular interest to the researchers was the inclusion of the VG-2 rifle, of which only a few thousand were made for the People’s Militia, the Volkssturm, a Nazi-backed organisation whose mission was a last-ditch attempt to mobilise German citizens in defending the country towards the end of the war.
Once cleaned up, the guns will be put on display in the Museum of the Second World War in Gdańsk.