Gdańsk mayor killer planned attack in Warsaw

Stefan W. (name withheld), 27, who on January 13 fatally stabbed Gdańsk Mayor Paweł Adamowicz during a charity event in the city, had also planned an attack in Warsaw, PAP has found out from a source close to the investigation.

After his release from prison, Stefan W. went directly to Warsaw and, at night, tried to break into the grounds of the Presidential Palace, the source said. He failed to force the fence and eventually gave up.

As he explained during interrogation, he came to the Polish capital because "he wanted to do something big, something to be talked about." Earlier, he told another prison inmate he was going to do something, "that will make him famous all over the world."

The prosecutor's office in Gdańsk later confirmed that W. was in Warsaw after his release from prison, he was close to the Presidential Palace and could have been planning a crime.

The prosecutors also said they had applied to the President's Office, the State Protection Service (SOP) and the Warsaw City Hall for CCTV recordings from the vicinity of the Presidential Palace.

Presidential spokesman Błażej Spychalski said that according to SOP, there was no such trespassing incident.

Spychalski added that "perhaps Stefan W. wanted to enter the Presidential Palace premises, we can't rule this out, but such an incident has not been recorded."

"We're cooperating with the prosecutors. If they ask us to hand over CCTV recordings, then of course the Presidential Palace will do so. We don't see any problem with that," the spokesman said.

On December 13 Gdańsk Mayor Paweł Adamowicz was stabbed three times by W., a recently released convicted criminal who rushed onto the stage during the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity finale in Gdańsk. The mayor suffered severe cardiac and abdominal injuries. Doctors reanimated Adamowicz on the spot and then transported him to the Medical University of Gdańsk hospital, where he underwent five hours of surgery. Adamowicz died from his injuries on Monday afternoon without regaining consciousness. Adamowicz was 53 and served as mayor of Gdańsk for 20 years.