Culture minister responds to presidential candidate's negligence charges

In his reply on Twitter, Gliński refuted Trzaskowski's accusations. Artur Reszko/PAP

Culture Minister Piotr Gliński on Tuesday responded to opposition presidential candidate Rafał Trzaskowski's accusations that his ministry was not offering sufficient aid to artists under the coronavirus epidemic.

Earlier on Tuesday, Trzaskowski, who will run for the presidency against incumbent head of state Andrzej Duda in the July 12 run-off round of the presidential election, complained online that Poland's cultural scene was not receiving any government aid, although it has been "frozen" over the past months, leaving hundreds of thousands of artists and staff jobless.

In his reply on Twitter, Gliński refuted Trzaskowski's accusations, and said that the cultural sector had received over PLN 5 billion (EUR 1.1 billion) under the government's "anti-crisis shield," a special package of laws to offset the economic effects of the epidemic.

Commenting the matter on its website, the Culture Ministry said it began preparing compensation solutions for artists and cultural institutions immediately after the government's announcement of a state of epidemic in Poland and the related restrictions on cultural activity.