Belarus planning to take Poland to International Criminal Court
Belarus is preparing to take Poland to the International Criminal Court in the Hague, a senior Polish security official has claimed, citing Belarusian media sources.
Stanislaw Zaryn, the director of the National Security Department, said the charges were based on the testimony of a Polish military deserter to Belarus, who had been posted on the Polish-Belarusian border during the migrant crisis.
The man later appeared in the Belarusian media and accused Poland of "crimes" in their treatment of migrants trying to get into Poland.
Zaryn took to Twitter on Friday to lambast Belarus's apparent plans.
"No absurdity is too big for Belarusian propaganda to use to attack Poland," he wrote. "The Belarusian media have announced... charges being brought against Poland to the court in The Hague. The (Alexander, Belarusian president - PAP) Lukashenko regime wants to base (the charges - PAP) on the unreliable accounts of a deserter... and 'evidence' of alleged 'crimes' it has gathered against Poland."
He also said that the Russian foreign ministry has declared its support for the charges of Belarus against Poland.
The Polish soldier deserted his unit and crossed the border in December. He has now applied for asylum.